Sunday, January 1, 2012

Caricature 9/500: Jimmy Hughes


Flipping through the channels the other day, I came across one of my favorite older shows on one of the rerun cable networks. The show is called Yes, Dear. It starred a lot of people you would probably recognize but who's names you don't know. The girl from Uncle Buck, Mike from Mike & Molly, the old guy who's scratchy voice is in everything, etc. I'm not sure why I liked it. Maybe because they had recurring guest roles by old school sitcom stars like Tim Conway, Jerry Van Dyke and Vicki Lawrence.



My favorite guy on the show was Jimmy Hughes, played by Mike O'Malley. He was kind of a deadbeat highschool partier that moved his whole family in with his movie producer in-laws and became the house guests that wouldn't leave. He always wore a baseball cap and flannel shirt and a large part of his humor was how he didn't quite fit in with his upscale LA neighbors. I can relate!


Mike O'Malley had a short lived spy show a couple years ago with Christian Slater and is now Kurt Hummel's dad on Glee. Anyway, He was on tv at that particular time and I decided he was my next victim. I'm a serial caricaturist. Or at least I hope to be one someday.


This one came together pretty quickly. I am concentrating on not getting too detailed with the linework and keep it a bit cartoony. Jimmy Hughes doesn't have a lot of weird features but I did pick on his nose and chin. 


Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

another good one! i can see your progress :)