Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Caricature 10/500: The Dre

I grew up just south of Green Bay, WI. NFL football is in my blood. I learned much of my cursing repertoire from my dad during those rough Packer years between Lombardi and Holmgren. Much like everyone else from my hometown (or home state for that matter), I didn't follow or care about any other teams in the league. Then came fantasy football...


I have been playing fantasy football since we had to do it by hand with a newspaper and calculator. Now it is all computerized on websites with real-time scoring and easy enough for anyone with an interest in the game to be involved. For those that don't play, it's basically drafting a team of real players from any of the NFL teams and using their stats in real games to compete against other people doing the same thing in a virtual league. Instead of caring about just the home team, it makes every game relevant and interesting. Interesting enough to build a sitcom around it and that sitcom is called The League on FX.


This is one of my favorite shows on television. It's very raunchy and uses adult humor extensively. I think of it as if the cast of The Hangover meets Seinfeld. The underlying theme is fantasy football but the episodes are very random, usually involving some unrelated plot that ends up tricking someone to start the wrong player or trade a player to another via the use of extortion or blackmail.


It has a cast full of colorful characters and one of the most colorful is Dr. Andre, the plastic surgeon, played by Paul Sheer. He's the one in the show that is picked on and psychologically abused the most. Andre, or 'Dre as he calls himself, has a goofy gap-toothed smile and is always doing strange things like Urban Foraging and wearing ridiculous clothes that he thinks are trendy.


This is my favorite caricature so far. I think I did a decent job of capturing Andre's look here. The obvious feature to exaggerate is his mouth and smile so that is what I went with while leaving everything else fairly normal.


I wish I could say that I turned a corner on this and things would start getting easier but this was a bit of a lucky result. I am not erasing quite as much as drawing #1 but I am still spending a lot of time on these with unpredictable results. These little glimpses of hope keep me encouraged and brings to mind another of my favorite Steve Martin quotes... "Obsession is a great substitute for talent."

No comments: