Friday, January 6, 2012

Caricature 13/500: Cochran

I've watched the reality show Survivor since the very beginning. There are usually one or two "characters" every season that are outrageous or insane enough to tune in. Once they get kicked off I may or may not stick it through 'til the end.


This last season my go-to guy was John Cochran. He was the Harvard Law School student that was a Survivor Superfan. He had watched and studied every episode, knew every bit of trivia and plot twist from every season and even did his dissertation on a complete formula to win.


He had the right idea but once he got in the real game he became super paranoid and second guessed every decision or word spoken to him. He was Woody Allen reborn, the quintessential 98lb weakling, a Big Bang level brainiac and he entertained the heck out of me. 


I whipped this one out pretty fast. I was trying once again to get away from using too much detail so as to keep it simple and cartoonish. Cochran has a large bulbous red nose and big sticking-out ears. His smile is narrow and long and he has an undeveloped pasty white body. 


It is interesting to note the things I see now that I didn't originally even though it has only been a week or so since I did this drawing. In the picture above, his eyes appear to be smaller than usual and maybe a bit farther apart than normal. I also didn't add any of his patchy Survivor beard or numerous rashes and insect bites.


I can't say that this is a very successful caricature but it came together fast and he is somewhat recognizable if you watched the show. This one won't be going on my wall of fame but it was good practice working on someone less iconic than many of the celebrities I've done previously.
Only 487 to go!

No comments: