Saturday, January 7, 2012

Caricatures 14&15/500: Puddy


Before I ever started this hobby I always saw Patrick Warburton as a bit of a caricature. Every time I saw him as David Puddy on Seinfeld or Jeff Bingham on Rules of Engagement I thought he looked a bit like the Sam the Eagle from the Muppets with his heavy brow seeming to nearly cover his eyes. He is probably much more famous for his voice-over work in Family Guy and a million other animated shows and commercials but I think he makes a good choice for a budding caricaturist. Unfortunately, he proved an elusive target for me. I tried twice but I still don't think I got him.


I asked the lovely Xty if she could recognize the first drawing and she said "Of course, it's the guy from Rules of Engagement. It looks just like him but what did you caricaturize?" I thought I had worked up his brow and squinted his eyes but she was right, there wasn't anything significant going on there.


Try #1
I went back to my sketchpad and tried again. This time I attempted to make his forehead a little bigger and stretch his head a bit but when I asked she said "That one doesn't look anything like him." Not only does it not look like him but I didnt really exaggerate anything on whoever he does look like. I must not have been in a very adventurous mood that day.


Try #2
I still made some good progress in knocking these two out in the same day. They didn't take nearly as long as some of my earlier singles and I am finding myself doing a lot less erasing... other than on eyes. Eyes can make a drawing go from "That's him" to "Who's that?" with the change of one eyelash or wrinkle.  They are really delicate and hard to capture. Back to the drawing board... literally.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i still think try 1 is really good!