Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Caricature 18/500: JAWS Part 2, Quint

 "Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go."


The uncomfortable sound of fingernails on a chalkboard introduced us to Quint, the salty dog shark hunter and captain of the Orca in the movie Jaws. Wonderfully portrayed by Robert Shaw, his off-color limericks and monologue of the USS Indianapolis add much to the film's magic.


Just like Hooper, I drew his head first and then added a separate sketch of the body and props. For Quint I didn't do a lot of exaggerating but I did try to make him grumpy looking and weathered. He has sort of a tired/perpetually annoyed look in his eyes.



This one came together pretty easily and I am happy with the results. I had a few days there where I was getting in a groove that I have since fallen in and out of many times. Much like music, there are good and not so good days. This was a fun one to draw. A toast to Quint... Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women."

No comments: