Thursday, February 16, 2012

Caricature 31/500: Homeland

I'm a US military veteran. I served with the 101st Airborne in the US Army, one of the most famous divisions in modern military history. Much has been written about the Screaming Eagles, particularly their WWII and Vietnam involvement. One of my favorite books on the 101st is Stephen E. Ambrose's Band Of Brothers.It is also an excellent 2002 HBO Mini-series starring Damian Lewis as Captain Dick Winters, Easy Company's CO (and eventual Battalion Commander). Lewis does a great job as the HDIC and I was very pleased to see him don a uniform again in last fall's Homeland on Showtime.


Homeland is about a US Marine who spent 8 years as a POW in Afghanistan. He is rescued and comes home as a national hero. The twist is that a CIA special agent played by Claire Danes has received a tip that a US POW has been turned and is now a spy for a terrorist group. She doesn't have a name but suspects Lewis' character Nick Brody. The show is loaded with enough misdirection and red herrings to keep the audience guessing deep into the season.


This is my favorite caricature so far. It is not overly detailed but captures the subject well and is of the cartoonish quality I want. I emphasized his small mouth with pursed lips, longish face and slightly crooked nose. I drew the sketch out for this one and inked it with a marker before scanning it into photoshop and adding the color digitally.


Next, I need to devote some time adding bodies to this latest batch of caricatures and putting together some scenes with backgrounds. 

No comments: