Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Caricature 30/500: Cheech

As so often happens, today's caricature was taken from a recent time investment in mindless television. I was watching the new Rob Schneider show Rob which is about an average Joe white guy that marries into a large family of Latinos. The patriarch of the family is Cheech Marin, formerly of Cheech and Chong, the perpetually high duo of the 1970s. He's a lot older now and doesn't have the trademark mustache but his puffy eyes and round face make him very drawable.


I sketched this one out in pencil and scanned it without taking the time to ink it first. I thought I would try out the old Wacom tablet to ink it this time. I found that it was much harder to make a steady line, especially when pressing very lightly to draw a thin one. It also didn't fatten out as much as a pen or marker when I pressed. Perhaps there is an adjustment for that. I would say that inking by hand is easier and more controllable but computer inking is the future so I am going to keep trying. It is much easier to erase on computer, that's for sure.






The coloring is also done on computer and I am finding that easier with each try. This one has a base layer of orange, a highlight layer of white and a shadow layer of black. Simple and quick. 


I think if I was to redo this one I would puff up the eyes more to make them little more than slits but otherwise it is not too shabby. Some come together easily like this one and others still don't come at all. At least the days of my 3 hour sketches are over.

No comments: