Thursday, December 29, 2011

Caricature 5/500: Local Talent

Well today I decided to pick on someone I actually know for my caricature. My buddy Mike across the courtyard sits out on his patio all day smoking cigars while reading the paper. He's a big ol' German fella from the midwest who spent a lotta years on Wall Street and now takes it easy and keeps an eye on things in our complex here in sunny Pasadena.


In this caricature I wanted to emphasize his nose and somewhat squinty eyes and bushy eyebrows. It has been a week or two since I drew this one and I was pretty happy with it at first but now I can see a few things I would do differently (I guess that is progress). I would still exaggerate the nose but I wouldn't make it as long as it stretches his face too much. I would also round up the cheeks a bit more so the head shape becomes rounder and wider.


I made the hat small on his head so I could add mass to his chin but I'm not sure it worked as planned. I look forward to revisiting this one when I get a little more experience and think I can make something more effective. I'm pretty happy with it as beginner level drawing though.


I haven't showed it to Mike yet but maybe I will just to test how good our friendship is and how much I can get away with when I start drawing my other friends. 

No comments: