Monday, December 26, 2011

Caricature 2/500: Gary B

On to #2 in the series of unsuccessful caricatures. Insert usual disclaimer here--> (according to experts, a beginner can expect to draw 500 poor ones before getting the hang of it).


As you can see, I tried to pick easy ones to start with and no one looks like a caricature in real life more than Gary Busey. After watching him on Celebrity Apprentice, I knew his wacky eyes and huge Chiclet shaped veneers were worthy of emphasis. Most people were able to recognize this one but I think I am focusing on one picture too much rather than using a picture or pictures as a guide to bring out the person's personality. 


I am also going into too much detail and should keep it more cartoony so it doesn't just look like a bad portrait. As you will see, I fall back into that for quite a few drawings to come and even gets worse before it gets better. 


First I drew each tooth
and it  didn't look like
Gary's wall of veneers.
I originally made the teeth too detailed and had to redo them. In life, they look more like a single piece of porcelain than individual teeth and too much detail makes them look ... wrong.


This one also took me hours to complete with much erasing and redoing. It'll be awhile before I can crank one of these out in 30 minutes or less.


Anyway, this is #2. 498 to go.



No comments: